Data Warehouse Automation
“We’re trying to reduce our 2 a.m. calls, like everyone else.” That’s what I heard when a CIO came to us looking to solve problems in his data center. He didn’t sound excited about it. But, he knew that if they could find solutions to common problems they’ve encountered, that there could be a tremendous positive impact on the organization.
How often are your data center operators called in to rescue you from a bad situation? Can these situations be avoided to reduce these calls? Data warehouse automation is an area where workload automation can truly shine.
- Did the data arrive from the customer as expected? If not, does the customer need to be notified?
- Was the data intact and valid?
- Is the ETL process started as soon as the data is available?
- Could the data be extracted, transformed, and loaded without any errors?
- If there are errors, are they resolved automatically with proper logging, auditing, notifications, and reporting?
- Does the entire process need to start over when an error occurs, or can parts of the process be restarted to increase throughput?
- Is report generation started as soon as the data is available?
- Are reporting errors handled automatically?
- Is the report sent to recipient as soon as it’s available?
- Are multiple delivery mechanisms supported, such as: FTP, FTPS, SFTP, UNC, JMS, etc?
Are you looking to solve some of these problems with your data warehouse automation solution? Great! I’ve got some news for you! Flux 7.11 will include Cognos integration straight out of the box! We’re in the preliminary stages of planning support for Informatica as well. With support planned for Informatica and Cognos, Flux should be on your radar.